SCALEHOBBY.COM FORUMS
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: A RANT from an OLD guy
Roi
COMMODORE

Mood: Don't you hate working for Idiots!

[*] posted on 14-7-2017 at 15:12
A RANT from an OLD guy

Me, 62 year this year, work 12 hour shifts in medical with what I can only describe as a bunch of kids with no adult supervision, Now that being said I cannot understand how we can have 7 pages of members and NOBODY is here?????? It seems I am the most prolific poster on the site? I used to love seeing others work and getting deals buying items from members, participating in group builds.

Now if this is a hobby for you nice folks where are the pics, the new tips and tricks the comrade-re??? If anyone is working a longer harder week that me at my age I would be surprised. So chime in here with some insight.

chopperlover
CAPTAIN

Mood: depends on mood

[*] posted on 15-7-2017 at 04:22

You ought to try having a heart attack and stent placement. Hobbies go on the back burner. Plus I have spent the spring and summer so far moving the mother in law into a nursing home and going thru all her stuff, plus my regular job, which is busy as hell, so am working Saturdays too, I dont have any spare time to build models right now.

I resemble that comment!
My name is Lee, and I'm a plastiholic.
1 Corinthians 15:51-54
! Thessalonians 4:13-18

Ask me about Speedway Decals
chopperlover
CAPTAIN

[*] posted on 15-7-2017 at 04:24

I spent a little time here and there, but not enough to finish everything, I usually add detail, which takes extra time. Who cares if someone finishes something or not, it's not about that.

I resemble that comment!

Doctor Noodle
COMMODORE

Mood: Indigo

[*] posted on 15-7-2017 at 08:43

Looks like Roi, Lee and myself are the only regular posters left here with occasional one-post visits from a few other long-term members. I'm glad to see you two are still building and posting here. I come by to see the great stuff you post and sometimes I'll leave a comment.

I haven't been building at all even though my desk and work areas are still covered with unfinished modeling stuff. I keep promising myself I'm going to get back to building.

No excuses. I've been unemployed since May so I got plenty of free time. (I got a nice severance package so I'm in no great hurry to find another job.)

Everybody, please keep building and posting. I'll keep coming by to admire your work and maybe I'll even finish something and post it as well.

Advanced Modeler Syndrome affects modelers worldwide. Won't you help?
Please give generously to the Alanoodle Wants To Buy More Plastic fund.
We accept cash, Paypal and anything that contains toluene or methylene chloride.

Alanoodle's Model Portfolio

Roi
COMMODORE

Mood: Don't you hate working for Idiots!

[*] posted on 15-7-2017 at 19:28

Sorry for your heart attack and stents and work. But I stand by my statement. Here is my last 12 months. Mother went nuts drove From Pueblo CO to Santa FE New Mexico and then rear ended car. she has no recollection of this AND I find out let her car and house insurance lapse. 22k I don't have later she passes. Work 12 hours a day In surgery nights alone had to take myself to the ER twice to find out that my BP is running in triple digits and I went numb on my entire left side during a Trauma surgery (because at night that's all there is) Work 6:30P to 7 AM and get about 4 to 5 hours pf sleep, Wife is Bi-Polar AND depression (failed to mention that before marriage) and got me 10K in secret debt. She does NOT take jobs with good money and benefits, My son, Don't get me started!!!! If I get a day Off I won't see bed til 1 / 1:30AM. So I build because it is my passion and safety vent. I have control and a sense of accomplishment but there is still a down side as there is not 1 model I have built on display in my own home!!!! Wife has 2 display cases with Cherished teddies but hey they are cute!!! models are not!

And this is not half of what has happened in the last 12 months. Not whining. Not complaining it is what it is and I have to make it work BUT, if don't take time for yourself and what you love then why bother to keep the stuff around??????

chopperlover
CAPTAIN

[*] posted on 16-7-2017 at 05:24

I work on hobby stuff as I can, I just don't finish much. Like I said, it isn't about how many kits I get finished. It's the process for me. I actually sometimes feel let down on completing a model. Just because I don't post a new finished model every other day doesn't mean I'm not building or enjoying the hobby.

I resemble that comment!

Doctor Noodle
COMMODORE

Mood: Indigo

[*] posted on 16-7-2017 at 09:02

Wow! You gentlemen put what I perceive as my own problems in perspective.

Roi, I understand your frustration in being the only one to regularly post pics of completed models here. I'm like Lee in that I have a lot of projects on the bench that just don't get finished.

I see a lot of people who used to be regular posters here posting on other forums such as FSM's and StarshipModeler's but they haven't posted here in a very long time. I also see that some posts here get a lot of views and I'm sure it's not just the three of us so this forum is being visited by others.

Maybe it's because this site is a forum only without the features and articles that other sites have.

Maybe it's because this forum lacks the drama and heated opinion posts that other forums have. Honestly, that's the reason I keep coming back here and don't visit the forums on other sites. This forum has always had the most positive and supportive members without the arguing and nit-picking of the other forums. I don't know. Maybe that's why the other forums get more traffic but it gets old after a while.

Since John Ross, the closest thing we've ever had to a moderator here abandoned this site, a lot of other members followed his lead and stopped visiting or posting. What ever happened to Steve, the original Founder/Administrator of this site? Is he even around to weigh in on this, either positively or negatively? Has he left this site to let whatever happens happen? (Who's paying for or managing the server space, anyway?)

I don't want to see this forum disappear from the web. If there is any moderator or admin, it's obvious that they haven't been concerned with the lack of traffic here. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd love to hear from whoever is managing this website just to hear what they have to say.

In the mean time, I'm going to post some pics.

Advanced Modeler Syndrome affects modelers worldwide. Won't you help?
Please give generously to the Alanoodle Wants To Buy More Plastic fund.
We accept cash, Paypal and anything that contains toluene or methylene chloride.

Alanoodle's Model Portfolio

Go To Top